Car seat safety is such a hot topic these days in the mommy community. Honestly, why wouldn’t it be? Keeping our most precious passengers safe during travel is a top concern and priority. Yet, the world of car seats is vast. There are so many selections out there for designs, features, safety…the list goes on. Personally, I highly recommend doing your research BEFORE purchasing. Don’t just look at a cart seat in a big box store and decide it is perfect because of its size. I actually recommend going into a personalized store (like SugarBabies) and speaking with people who are experts on the knowledge of baby and child products. Places like SugarBabies have staff who are constantly keeping up with latest trends and information of focus baby products. This includes having the knowledge of what car seat might be best for your child’s safety as well as functional for your family.
We recently chose the Diono Rainier car seat for our son who just turned one year. It was time to upgrade him from his newborn car seat and we needed something dependable. I had done prior research to purchasing the Diono Rainier and appreciated it for its’ enhanced side impact protection and capability to convert to a booster seat for children between 50 and 120 lbs. or up to 57″ in height. Making this car seat safe and functional.
Another feature that stood out to me was the adjustable head rest. It has 12 height positions and additional EPS foam surrounds the child’s head and body for complete side impact protection. Something I had never seen much in other car seat brands. Side impact and head protection are some of my biggest concerns now that we have two children and one on each side of the backseat. I also love the SuperLATCH system because it makes it for easier installation in our mid-sized SUV. The Diono Rainier fits perfectly in the back and rear facing. Our daughter’s car seat tends to be on the larger side and I regret that purchase. Diono Rainier is sleek and compact, yet blows most other car seats out of the water in safety features. I love that it is a rubber bottom for better grip on our car’s leather seats. No worries about purchasing additional products for that kind of protection that are actually no recommended by car seat specialists. I am also a big fan of the additional “lip” in the front of the car seat that goes between the seat and back of my backseat so that the set is snug.
We chose the White Houndstooth pattern and love the chic look of it. I understand “the look” of a car seat isn’t by far the most important feature, however; I will be the first to say that I like having a uniformed look in our family car. It is an additional nice feature to have.
Here are some of the key and additional features of the Diono Rainier:
- Full steel frame and aluminum reinforced sides for unmatched safety
- Reinforced extra deep sidewalls lined with energy-absorbing foam give Rainier superior head and body protection
- Comfortably seats rear-facing children from 5 to 50 lbs
- Highest forward-facing capacity of any car seat in a 5-point harness: from 20-90 lbs (up to 57″ in height)
- Converts to booster mode for children between 50 and 120 lbs. (up to 57″ in height)
- Unique SuperLATCH system that makes installation easy
- Space saving design allows extra room for passengers while providing spacious interior for child
- Folds flat for travel and is FAA certified
- NCAP crash tested, the industry benchmark for verifying child seat performance in severe accident conditions
- Infant body support cushions and memory foam for added comfort
- Energy absorbing EPS foam and side impact protection provides added safety
- Extra-long leg support for comfy road trips and multiple harness and buckle positions for custom fit
- Safestop® energy-absorbing harness
- Additional forward-facing recline position to accommodate different types of contoured vehicle seats, 12-position adjustable headrest, 5 shoulder and 3 buckle positions deliver a comfortable ride.
- Rear-facing tether capability
- Only brand of car seats with SuperLATCH™: with the Strongest Connectors and Secureweave™ webbing it provides an easy and secure installation
- Additional set of harness pads included to use only when the child is over 65 lbs in the 5-point harness
- Expandable sides and long seat bottom allow proper leg support
- Sits low on vehicle seat for easy child boarding and improved safety performance in a crash
- Angled cup holder keeps a variety of drinks upright and within easy reach
- Cover is machine washable and dryable
- Rubber bottom grips for no-slip installation
- Industry leading 12 year product life (from date of purchase)
I have to put out the disclaimer that I am not a car seat specialist. However, as a mother of two who has purchased both a “main stream” brand of car seat and the Diono Rainier, I highly recommend the Rainier. I feel safe putting my children in this car seat and believe it to be a top of the line product. Something you should register for if expecting or consider as your upgraded purchase when it is time for the newborn car seat to be retired. A huge thank you to the staff of SugarBabies for helping me choose the perfect car seat for our son. I left the store confident in our decision and am thrilled with the Diono Rainier.